Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jul 26, 2014, 04:04:56

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lengthening your iron shafts, what are your experiences ?  (Read 1577 times)

Offline knockdown

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sand Wedge
What are peeps experiences of adding shaft extenders in terms of feel and performance afterwards ?

Those that have reshafted + 1/2-1in or more, how have you found the process of swing weighting or achieving a similar MOI feel to them. Have you drilled out the hosels to achieve lower swing weights ?

In general have longer clubs made any significant improvement to your game ? It is said that longer clubs are harder to hit accurately, does this seem to be the case or have improvements in posture etc countered any ill effects ?

Just about to start an experiment, so would be interested to get some feedback.

Cheers Guys   :popcorn:

Offline srp973

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • 4 Iron
    • Home Club - Ashton-on-Mersey, Manchester
Re: Lengthening your iron shafts, what are your experiences ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2010, 08:17:23 »
Had mine extended by 1/2'' on the recommendation of Niceshot following a Trackman session - very pleased with the results - notice no difference at all in feel.
Shaft will be I believe slightly softer being 1/2'' longer, but nothing that noticeable.......
WITB
TM Superfast 2.0TP 9.5 - Ozik TP6HD Stiff
Adams Insight XTD with Tour AD
TM Steel 200 5 Wood - Rifle 6.0
Vega VM-01 4-PW X100
Vega VW-06 50 / 54 / 58 Wedges with DG Spinner +
TM DDL
Titleist 2013 Lightweight Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1x
Footjoy Classics / DryJoys or Nike Canvas Lunaron depending on the weather

Handicap 2014 - 5.6 / 5.4 / 4.9 / 5.0 / 5.1 / 5.2 / 5.3 / 5.4 / 5.5 / 5.6 / 5.2

Offline knockdown

• Sand Wedge
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2010, 23:46:37 »
Interesting. Do you know what Mark did to them to compensate for the extension, in terms of adjusting swing weight, drop in flex etc ? When I discussed this with a top end club fitter he suggested I do a complete reshaft to avoid compromising performance.

Offline golf_bhoy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 3 Iron
  • I need coffee ...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2010, 00:00:13 »
Interesting. Do you know what Mark did to them to compensate for the extension, in terms of adjusting swing weight, drop in flex etc ? When I discussed this with a top end club fitter he suggested I do a complete reshaft to avoid compromising performance.

I had mine done at AGT in St. Andrew's by a top end club fitter.  No mention of compromised performance performance; he seemed perfectly happy to load a tip weight into the hosel to maintain the swing weight. 

I'm not sure the flex changes by extending the butt end of a shaft.  If it does it won't be a dramatic change.

I "know" from reading posts from experienced clubfitters that shortening a shaft by lopping the butt end has no effect on flex; clipping the tip does though.  I have no idea why that should be; wasn't covered in Higher Physics when I was at school ...
Nobody ever saw a slow player in a mirror.

2011 : 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6

Offline knockdown

• Sand Wedge
« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2010, 21:59:39 »
Cheers for feedback GB  :thumbup1:

Offline rangemonkey

• PGA Professional
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • 4 Iron
    • www.callawaygolf.com
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2010, 22:27:50 »
I had mine done at AGT in St. Andrew's by a top end club fitter.  No mention of compromised performance performance; he seemed perfectly happy to load a tip weight into the hosel to maintain the swing weight. 

I'm not sure the flex changes by extending the butt end of a shaft.  If it does it won't be a dramatic change.

I "know" from reading posts from experienced clubfitters that shortening a shaft by lopping the butt end has no effect on flex; clipping the tip does though.  I have no idea why that should be; wasn't covered in Higher Physics when I was at school ...

Why did he have to add weight to the head?
In selecting clubs I always look for those which suit my swing. Ive spent too long developing that swing to make any radical changes in it merely to fit a new club. - Ben Hogan, 1948

My Current WITB

Optiforce 440 9.5* - Mitsubishi S+ 62 Stiff
Razr Fit 15* - A'hina 70 X
Razr X Tour Hybrid No 2 & 3 - V2 S
Legacy Black 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S
Vintage Jaws Wedges 52* & 58* - KBS Tour X
Odyssey Black Series No1

Offline golf_bhoy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 3 Iron
  • I need coffee ...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2010, 22:49:17 »
I'd forgotten about this thread, but since it's resurrected, I confess I'm not sure AGT did weight the clubs.  What I do know is they extended them and added thicker grips (well regripped with more tape wraps at any rate).

I've had a few of the heads work loose and had to be refitted, and noticed they've been tip weighted, but I don't know that AGT did that, or if they were like that when I got them from Keve who got them on ebay (and the trail goes cold at that point).

Or it could be a Mizuno thing.  Keve's also had a loose head on his 6I about the same time mine went, and his hosel/shaft were identical to mine - there's a plug in the shaft with a raised "bar" that doesn't fit the whole width of the plug, and fits into a slot in whatever's in the hosel; there's definitely something in there but it's difficult to see exactly what.
Nobody ever saw a slow player in a mirror.

2011 : 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6

Offline rangemonkey

• PGA Professional
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • 4 Iron
    • www.callawaygolf.com
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2010, 08:28:03 »
Those are Mizuno tip weights so looks like AGT didn't do anything there.
In selecting clubs I always look for those which suit my swing. Ive spent too long developing that swing to make any radical changes in it merely to fit a new club. - Ben Hogan, 1948

My Current WITB

Optiforce 440 9.5* - Mitsubishi S+ 62 Stiff
Razr Fit 15* - A'hina 70 X
Razr X Tour Hybrid No 2 & 3 - V2 S
Legacy Black 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S
Vintage Jaws Wedges 52* & 58* - KBS Tour X
Odyssey Black Series No1

Offline Cols_Ears

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • 5 Iron
  • Current HCap: 4.9
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2010, 11:11:08 »
I'd forgotten about this thread, but since it's resurrected, I confess I'm not sure AGT did weight the clubs.  What I do know is they extended them and added thicker grips (well regripped with more tape wraps at any rate).

I've had a few of the heads work loose and had to be refitted, and noticed they've been tip weighted, but I don't know that AGT did that, or if they were like that when I got them from Keve who got them on ebay (and the trail goes cold at that point).

Or it could be a Mizuno thing.  Keve's also had a loose head on his 6I about the same time mine went, and his hosel/shaft were identical to mine - there's a plug in the shaft with a raised "bar" that doesn't fit the whole width of the plug, and fits into a slot in whatever's in the hosel; there's definitely something in there but it's difficult to see exactly what.

Mizuno have some nice tip weights that don't fill the entire tip and allow air / epoxy to move up the shaft slightly when you insert the shaft to the hosel, helps prevent getting trapped air in the hosel. I suspect the groove you have found in the bottom of the hosel is simply left over epoxy from either side of the "bar" - this can be fairly easily removed if you heat it and then use either a wood drill (so it won't damage the hosel) or an abrasive grinding tip.
:titleist: 913 D3 9.5 with Diamana S+ Stiff
:touredge: Exotics CB1 16.5 with Accra SC90 M4
:adams: Idea Pro 18 with Accra HF Hybrid Stiff or :nike: VRII Pro PC 2i with KBS C-Taper S+
:taylormade: R9 TP "B Stamps" with KBS C-Taper S+ 3-PW
:bridgestone: West Coast Design Wedges 52 and 58 DG Wedge Shafts
Tad Moore Hoffman Blade / Ingles custom 12g
:srixon: Z-Star XV (2014)

Offline srp973

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • 4 Iron
    • Home Club - Ashton-on-Mersey, Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2010, 12:55:08 »

Been away and only picked this up......sorry..didn't do anything else to change the swingweight - suppose just accepted that they been a bit different......to be honest unless you have such a repeatable swing and are a Pro, then would it make that much difference?
WITB
TM Superfast 2.0TP 9.5 - Ozik TP6HD Stiff
Adams Insight XTD with Tour AD
TM Steel 200 5 Wood - Rifle 6.0
Vega VM-01 4-PW X100
Vega VW-06 50 / 54 / 58 Wedges with DG Spinner +
TM DDL
Titleist 2013 Lightweight Cart Bag
Titleist ProV1x
Footjoy Classics / DryJoys or Nike Canvas Lunaron depending on the weather

Handicap 2014 - 5.6 / 5.4 / 4.9 / 5.0 / 5.1 / 5.2 / 5.3 / 5.4 / 5.5 / 5.6 / 5.2

Offline NiceShot

• Custom Club Fitter
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • 6 Iron
« Reply #10 on: Oct 04, 2010, 13:16:01 »

IIRC the SWs were already quite light so lengthing them actually helped.

Lengthening will in general reduce cpm but as length is increased overall flex stays the same
Clubs!

Recent