Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Oct 14, 2019, 16:42:32

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 2016 CONGU Changes  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014
2016 CONGU Changes
« on: Sep 21, 2015, 19:37:06 »
In response to Shuv's question in the weekly golf thread about handicapping changes in 2016...

Main Changes...

4 Ball Better Ball matchplay allowance changing from 3/4 difference to 9/10ths

NO CHANGE to existing handicap boundaries....there were rumours that men would have a new Cat 5 allowing handicaps up to 40 and a further category up to 54 for disabled/junior golfers......HOWEVER....a club may allocate a handicap higher than 28 (36 for a lady) that would be valid at the players HOME club only. The handicap would not be valid elsewhere..e.g. when playing opens

Initial handicaps (on submission of three cards) will be allocated using the same algorithm that is currently used to calculate the Annual Review....if players struggled to understand how a handicap was allocated previously...they've not got a hope in hell now (italics my opinion....not England Golf or CONGU's!!!)

The Exceptional Scoring Reduction process will change so that the severity of reductions is reduced. Previously a pair of Exceptional Scores would lead to a reduction, if a third Exceptional Score was achieved there would be another cut. Now it will require a third and fourth exceptional score in order to get a second cut.

Supplementary scores can now be returned at all GB&I clubs where a player is a member (currently you can only return a Supplementary at your designated "HOME" club)

There will be a Continuous Handicap Review process that will flag any player who has 7 consecutive 0.1 increases for immediate handicap review.
Callaway Epic 10.5* / Hzrdus T800 6.0
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Ping G400 14.5*  / Tour 75 reg
Ping G400  19* & 22*/ Tour 80 reg
Mizuno JPX 919 forged 5i-GW Modus 3 stiff
Vega VW06 54* & 58*
TM Spider Tour Black

sevenfourate

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 2016 CONGU Changes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2015, 20:00:12 »
Appreciated muchly Nick. Quick initial thoughts.

1/ Most people wont be able to work out 90% of allowance; seeing as 95% struggled with  3/4. GPS units with built in calculators to appear very soon.

2/ Shame this didn't carry across outside club boundries. Would encourage more golfers IMO. And bring out more regular comp playing golfers. Surely good for players, clubs and ultimately the game.

3/ 'Whatever' ! Most starting handicaps are high. An odd shot to a rapidly reducing starter will effect no-one very much for very long.. And coupled with the last new ruling - if the initial handicap is too low: its covered again.

4/ Possibly an improved formula for someone who for a variety of reasons produces a couple of exceptional; and out of character rounds. I'm not sure what time periods these 2 or 3 exceptional scores need to lie within......

5/ Logical.

6/ Already flagged / kept an eye on by most clubs i've been involved with already, to benefit an injured, elderly, returning after a lay-off or plain struggling golfer.

The wheels turn slowly, but in a positive manner in summary !

Offline Blofeld

• Driver
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2015, 20:28:36 »
Appreciated muchly Nick. Quick initial thoughts.

1/ Most people wont be able to work out 90% of allowance; seeing as 95% struggled with  3/4. GPS units with built in calculators to appear very soon.

2/ Shame this didn't carry across outside club boundries. Would encourage more golfers IMO. And bring out more regular comp playing golfers. Surely good for players, clubs and ultimately the game.

3/ 'Whatever' ! Most starting handicaps are high. An odd shot to a rapidly reducing starter will effect no-one very much for very long.. And coupled with the last new ruling - if the initial handicap is too low: its covered again.

4/ Possibly an improved formula for someone who for a variety of reasons produces a couple of exceptional; and out of character rounds. I'm not sure what time periods these 2 or 3 exceptional scores need to lie within......

5/ Logical.

6/ Already flagged / kept an eye on by most clubs i've been involved with already, to benefit an injured, elderly, returning after a lay-off or plain struggling golfer.

The wheels turn slowly, but in a positive manner in summary !

1/ I dunno....if the difference is 27 shots, divide by ten and take 2.7 off the 27....though we all know that loads of folks will be trying to do 9*2.7 in their minds!!!

4/ The size of the reduction applied is based on two things... I) the average of the difference of the two scores from CSS ii) The number of rounds played between the two scores....but 10 scores is the maximum between the first good round and the second

6/ I think many clubs will be aware of the golfers who fit the first three categories but I'm not so sure about the 4th...at least the process is now going to be automated.
Vega VW06 54* & 58*
TM Spider Tour Black

Offline Chip Out Sideways

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 8 iron
  • Newbury and Crookham Golf Club
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2015, 22:13:18 »
I think point 3 is interesting, particularly for those who for whatever reason leave golf for a season or two and then comeback a little rusty!  I can see the odd player getting much higher than they should (happens anyway), say a Cat 1 or Cat 2 who comes back and first few cards who a little scrappy.
Ping G25 9 Degree Ping TFC Regular
3 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
5 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
Rescues - 19&23 Mizuno MP650 - Orochi Regular
Mizuno MX300 5-PW Dynalite Gold Regular
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Blade 50 & 56 (2 dot) - Dynamic Gold Regular
Putter - Wilson Staff 8883 (Black)
Pro V1 or Srixon AD333 Tour

More spare clubs, particularly 3 woods, than is feasible but less than I had!

Offline Blofeld

• Driver
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2015, 22:37:37 »
I think point 3 is interesting, particularly for those who for whatever reason leave golf for a season or two and then comeback a little rusty!  I can see the odd player getting much higher than they should (happens anyway), say a Cat 1 or Cat 2 who comes back and first few cards who a little scrappy.

Depends how honest the player is about his "history"... any good handicap secretary will take into account his previous handicap if he is made aware of it.... and some really good ones can always do some digging if the player says nothing.

We had a couple of guys join our place recently claiming that their old club had refused to give them their handicap record or UHS number to take to their new club....each player put in three cards that indicated handicaps of around 18. A bit of digging showed that one player had played at the claimed old club off a handicap of 12 but the other had never held a handicap at the claimed club... but had played off 6 at a previous club!!

Suffice to say that neither of them got anything close to a handicap in the teens.
Vega VW06 54* & 58*
TM Spider Tour Black

Recent