Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jun 20, 2019, 18:52:36

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Couple of Head scratchers at the weekend  (Read 1502 times)

Offline Galway Stevie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 2 Iron
Couple of Head scratchers at the weekend
« on: May 16, 2016, 16:11:04 »
Played the second outing of our Society on Saturday and paired myself with a new member who has recently taken up golf. Being Captain this year I printed a flyer saying we play to R&A rules with Local rule additions.

6th hole the Newbie lost a ball (didn't look any trouble but no sign) and he says to me "where do I drop" pointing around the area we were looking. I said back where you hit the last one with cries of "Oooh it's just society" so relented with drop one her for 2 shots as he wasn't going to make the prizes anyway.

10th hole he was deep in the trees and after a swing and a miss he picked up the ball and walked out of the trees saying he would take a 2 shot penalty. At that point I explained the unplayable lie rule and said he should probably read up on the rules a bit or he is going to get into bother in competitions.

Everybody has to start somewhere but it would seem if you take up golf and join Cregmore Park golf club you get taught to use any old excuse

Anyway I got in and talk was there was a 44 in from one of the young lads and although not my job I thought I'd have a look through and verify a few cards. At this point I noticed that the lads card had 43 points and the hole by hole scores to get to that score. I cross checked it with the computer and he entered a 5 at the 3rd instead of the 6 he had. 43 was still the best score on the day but I have heard conflicting information on whether he should have been disqualified as he was no longer at the course and left before the presentation.

What is the rules guru's thoughts on that one.
WITB

Callaway XR 10.5 (Set 9.5 Neutral)
TM M4hl 3 woods/4woods 16.5*
Callaway UT 18*
Adams Idea Pro 20*
Ping i 4-PW AWT 2.0 Reg
Ping Gorge 52* Reg
Ping Gorge 58* Reg
Whitlam Proto 33"

Current Club. Ardee Golf Club HC: 12.7

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014
Re: Couple of Head scratchers at the weekend
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 16:41:38 »
He is only responsible for signing his card with the correct scores in the gross boxes. If he has made a mistake in entering his scores on the computer then his error should be corrected by a responsible committee member.

My opinion is that his 43 points should stand.
Callaway Epic 10.5* / Hzrdus T800 6.0
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Ping G400 14.5*  / Tour 75 reg
Ping G400  19* & 22*/ Tour 80 reg
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW / DG XP95 stiff
Vega VW06 54* & 58*
TM Spider Tour Black

Offline Stu-Pid

• Shortened to 67"
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Driver
  • Current HC: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 16:54:25 »
Societies are a rule unto themselves and the official Rule of Golf don't really apply like they do in club competitions, so you'll often find some weird and wacky rules being used.

A couple of friendly societies that I have played in have a lost ball rule which is to take a 2 shot penalty and play from where the ball was lost to avoid walking back to the tee and causing back-ups.  However, this is only in use when everyone expects the ball to be fine but it has mysteriously vanished, and normal rules around provisional balls are meant to apply if you carve one into the deep stuff.  I'm pretty sure that some people have used that to their advantage over the years though...

With regards to scorecards, most societies don't use computers and the scorecards are usually just totted up and handed to the organiser, and they usually double check those who are in the top 5 to check for any errors.  So if a computer was used and he entered the wrong score by mistake and the card was correct then I personally would just amend the score and carry on.  However, leaving before the presentation when you have won should be instant disqualification!

Offline Galway Stevie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 2 Iron
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 21:57:41 »
He is only responsible for signing his card with the correct scores in the gross boxes. If he has made a mistake in entering his scores on the computer then his error should be corrected by a responsible committee member.

My opinion is that his 43 points should stand.

Cool. That is what happened but I wasn't sure about the act of submitting a score.  :thumbup1:
WITB

Callaway XR 10.5 (Set 9.5 Neutral)
TM M4hl 3 woods/4woods 16.5*
Callaway UT 18*
Adams Idea Pro 20*
Ping i 4-PW AWT 2.0 Reg
Ping Gorge 52* Reg
Ping Gorge 58* Reg
Whitlam Proto 33"

Current Club. Ardee Golf Club HC: 12.7

Recent