Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 17, 2018, 00:47:43

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Joined a Gym  (Read 11361 times)

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014
Joined a Gym
« on: Nov 28, 2016, 18:31:34 »
Fed up with my ballooning weight, declining standard of golf, total lack of flexibility to the point where I can barely bend down to pick the ball out of the hole and, most of all, my inability to get into the majority of my golf trousers....

....I've gone and joined a gym.

(and before you all jump to conclusions.....no I haven't stalked my ex to her place of work and discovered she's a yoga instructor or something!!!)
Callaway Epic 10.5* / Hzrdus T800 6.0
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Ping G400 14.5  / Tour 75 reg
Ping G400  19* & 22*/ Tour 80 reg
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW / DG XP95 stiff
Callaway MD4 54* & 58*
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Offline Stanster

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
Re: Joined a Gym
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2016, 18:35:45 »
Fed up with my ballooning weight, declining standard of golf, total lack of flexibility to the point where I can barely bend down to pick the ball out of the hole and, most of all, my inability to get into the majority of my golf trousers....

....I've gone and joined a gym.

(and before you all jump to conclusions.....no I haven't stalked my ex to her place of work and discovered she's a yoga instructor or something!!!)

Just a thought but has all the above co-incided with your increase in brewing activity  :chuckle:

Offline euros

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2016, 18:56:00 »
What is your plan nick?
I carry clubs but cant use any of them

Offline Blofeld

• Driver
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2016, 19:21:02 »
What is your plan nick?

Initially just regain a bit of basic fitness...so get the heart working a bit more, before moving off into some more strenuous stuff that can burn some calories and shift weight, considering a bit of yoga as I've heard that helps with flexibility...one of the trainers at the gym is also a decent golfer so hopefully he can put some sort of program together that will gradually develop all aspects and increase my core strength.

I just need winding up, pointing in the right direction as to what exercises are suitable and set going.....once I've got a target (Club Championships in June next year.....I've put in pitiful performances in the last five years since winning it) then I can work on whatever I've been given to do.

Unfortunately, a bit like an old house....I need quite a bit of fundamental refurbishment before the real redecorating can begin....so early progress might be a bit slow.

But I do know that I played my best golf and got down to my lowest handicap back in 2009/10 which coincided with me doing a lot of physical exercise (mainly running) when I lost a couple of stone....I'd happily get out running again but seeing as most of what I did was cross country the constant throwing of my feet due to running over difficult terrain into different positions didn't help my ankle (tendonitis) problems which flare up from time to time. I was managing nice 5 mile runs in my lunch break two or three times a week and whilst I'm several years older now, I know that if I build myself up sensibly then it should be possible for me to significantly improve my overall fitness and strength and I know that the golf will improve as a result.

I just want a bit more variety of exercise than running can give me.....and forking out money on a monthly basis is additional incentive to get my arse in gear.

Happy to take pointers from our fitness gurus.....but just remember I'm currently more of a gorged Anaconda than a racing snake. 
Callaway MD4 54* & 58*

Offline Blofeld

• Driver
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2016, 19:25:06 »
Just a thought but has all the above co-incided with your increase in brewing activity  :chuckle:

Not sure my booze intake has changed significantly....my diet is shit though and has been since our works canteen was restructured about three years ago and the choice and quality of food dropped significantly....I mean....who wants to eat bloody quorn and quinoa?
Callaway MD4 54* & 58*

Offline euros

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2016, 19:50:40 »
Sounds like you have it covered if you are going to see a trainer. Getting a plan from them us the way it should be, they aren't there to load a bar or hand u weights. Are there yoga sessions in the gym? Is it a globo gym? If so what brand?
I carry clubs but cant use any of them

Offline freded

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • 2 Iron
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2016, 20:58:16 »
I've lost over 10kg in the last 20 weeks or so and improved my health as evidenced by medical results.  Gym helps but most of the improvement is from change of diet (my trainer reckons it is 80% diet 20% exercise).

Good on you to join a gym but you need to change diet if you want real improvement

Offline SkankyShanky

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
    • RSG
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2016, 21:43:55 »
+1 I've been cycling for 18 months and put on half a stone :banghead:
Taylormade top end
Cleveland bottom end
Other people's lost balls

Offline Vince Baby

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • 2 Iron
  • HC 9.9
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 08:25:18 »
+1 I've been cycling for 18 months and put on half a stone :banghead:

My Mrs is a cycling fanatic these days.

At the weekend, I mentioned that her thighs were very muscular. It wasn't well received.  :blush:

Still, with Christmas coming I won't have to go searching for the nut crackers.....

Offline SkankyShanky

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
    • RSG
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:53:50 »
Lol. Yeah my thighs and bum have rather firmed up
Taylormade top end
Cleveland bottom end
Other people's lost balls

Offline Roland

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
Joined a Gym
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2016, 21:52:29 »
I've lost over 10kg in the last 20 weeks or so and improved my health as evidenced by medical results.  Gym helps but most of the improvement is from change of diet (my trainer reckons it is 80% diet 20% exercise).

Good on you to join a gym but you need to change diet if you want real improvement
James,

Is this all about smoothies and kale? Or is it a balanced effort?

I've put on nearly a stone since I stopped smoking and I wasn't slim Jim before!
Driver TBC
Fairway TBC
Adams XTD Hybrid Prolaunch Red
Callaway X Tour 21º C-Taper
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW KBS Tour
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52º & 58º KBS Tour
Trusty Spider CS Hanging in There

Offline Chip Out Sideways

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 8 iron
  • Newbury and Crookham Golf Club
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2016, 22:29:28 »
At the start of February this year, for the same reasons Nick gives, I decided to loose some weight.  Between then and start of September I lost 3st 10lbs. I did this by really cutting down on the carbs (less bread, potatoes, pasta, alcohol etc.). People obviously did notice but I then joined a gym.  During the summer I did stretch more and walk more but I decided to join the gym later rather than sooner as I did not want to overly stress my body.  Since I joined the gym and basically sticking to the diet (although there have been more breaks due to circumstances) although my weight has stayed the same people have really noticed the weigh loss as I have toned up (I do not do big weights and I mix cardio with strength and flexibility work).  Two things are now noticeable: 1) I do feel more flexible; range sessions seem to indicate longer shots and getting back to where I was 2-3 years ago.  I hope that keeping this up over the next few months will help come the spring.  It has also made me think about lessons again as I could now perhaps get in better positions.

There has only really been one downside - the cost of altering or buying more clothes.  My waist is 4 inches smaller and chest about the same (although dimensions continue to change as I continue to work out).
Ping G25 9 Degree Ping TFC Regular
3 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
5 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
Rescues - 19&23 Mizuno MP650 - Orochi Regular
Mizuno MX300 5-PW Dynalite Gold Regular
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Blade 50 & 56 (2 dot) - Dynamic Gold Regular
Putter - Wilson Staff 8883 (Black)
Pro V1 or Srixon AD333 Tour

More spare clubs, particularly 3 woods, than is feasible but less than I had!

Offline david92

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2016, 09:08:21 »
I currently have membership of a training company enabling me to have 2 1hr semi personal training sessions a week - basically the max the trainer will have is 2 clients at a time but it tends to be 1 on 1....also as part of the deal I can book into a cardio or box fit class but all the above supposes I can find the time and available sessions to book...so what I tend to do is one session after work in the week and one sun morning....I also try and do Pilates classes but again due to very limited availability I seem to only find 2-3 sessions with spaces a month...obviously all this in London is bl**dy expensive and tbh I think it is all only doing just enough to just keep an ever expanding waistband at bay....

I find the major limiters being time and location regarding trying to fit anything around working and commuting...and expense!

Regarding dieting as I sit at my desk all day and a lot of what I do is pretty boring I also eat/snack too much!!

I agree with James in that I think that the dieting side of things is probably more important to lose weight...interestingly enough I have always found if I am busy doing soemting I enjoy I tend to lose focus on hunger and food!!

WITB
TM M2 9.5 with Oban HB Kiyoshi
Calloway Epic Graphite Design g series
Hybrids Callaway 815 18/20/23 Accra hybrid Stiff flex
Irons Mizuno MP18SC KBS Tour V +1/2"
Loads of Vokey wedges !!..and several putters...of which I am having most success with old Yes Callie 36" Superstroke mid size grip...probably had this putter for at least 10+yrs!

Offline Cols_Ears

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • 3 Iron
  • Current HCap: 5.8
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:00:36 »
For those trying to monitor what they eat I can highly recommend a free app called "My Fitness Pal" - this enables you to log all the food you eat and exercise you do. Now don't get me wrong it it a bit of a faff, putting everything in, but it's highly addictive and you can learn pretty quickly what is causing your weight gains, after all its a very simple formula:

Calories in > Calories burnt = Weight Gain
 Calories in < Calories burnt = Weight Loss

I found that logging / or diarising (as our American friends might say) your food consumption really makes you think about those afternoon trips to the vending machine, and if that Snickers is really what you need, or is it another glass of water...
:taylormade: M1 430 10.5° with Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec V6.2 Stiff
:taylormade: M1 3HL (17°) with Accra SC75 M4 Stiff
:PXG: 0311XF 2i (18°) with Aerotech Steelfiber 110 F4 
:ping: iBlades Green Dot 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW +½"
:bridgestone: WC Design Wedges 48°, 53°, 58° with KBS Wedge shafts
Tad Moore Forged Hoffman Blade (8802 style)
:bridgestone: B330S (2017)

Offline Blofeld

• Driver
« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2016, 10:54:06 »

I found that logging / or diarising (as our American friends might say) your food consumption really makes you think about those afternoon trips to the vending machine,

They give that advice for drinkers to monitor their alcohol intake.

I tried it about 25 years ago when I started drinking a wee bit too much (to the point where I once got off the train home from work, stopped off in the pub which was on my walk home, walked out of the pub at 7am the next morning and got straight back on the train to go to work) and in the end I found I was trying subconsciously to beat last weeks total.

Started off at around 40 units and realised a change of tactic was required when I hit 94 units one week.

So if anyone gets the impression that I like a beer or three now....you'd have had a very low opinion of me during the early 1990s.
Callaway MD4 54* & 58*

Recent