Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dec 17, 2018, 01:03:48

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Joined a Gym  (Read 11362 times)

Offline freded

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • 2 Iron
Re: Joined a Gym
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2016, 11:59:19 »
James,

Is this all about smoothies and kale? Or is it a balanced effort?

I've put on nearly a stone since I stopped smoking and I wasn't slim Jim before!

Had 3 eggs 3 bacon and a sausage for breakfast so it's a balanced effort

Offline david92

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2016, 14:10:14 »
Had 3 eggs 3 bacon and a sausage for breakfast so it's a balanced effort

...and that's viewed as healthy and helps losing weight!?!?! :scared:
WITB
TM M2 9.5 with Oban HB Kiyoshi
Calloway Epic Graphite Design g series
Hybrids Callaway 815 18/20/23 Accra hybrid Stiff flex
Irons Mizuno MP18SC KBS Tour V +1/2"
Loads of Vokey wedges !!..and several putters...of which I am having most success with old Yes Callie 36" Superstroke mid size grip...probably had this putter for at least 10+yrs!

Offline freded

• 2 Iron
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2016, 14:16:41 »
...and that's viewed as healthy and helps losing weight!?!?! :scared:

Over 11kg lost already.....

Only have processed meat for breakfast a couple of times a week.  Normally have salmon, prawns or chicken.  Always have 3 eggs though.

Been told the only way I'm going to lose further weight/body fat is to increase the amount I'm eating a day.

Offline freded

• 2 Iron
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2016, 14:30:32 »
I sent this to Nick by PM but the diet I've followed for 20 weeks or so.

Breakfast.   3 eggs + protein (chicken/salmon/prawns)

Lunch.   Meat + salad/veg

Dinner.  Meat + salad/veg

Snack.  Nuts or green shakes.  Limit fruit to 1 or 2 pieces a day.

Drink a protein shake with some berries mixed about an hour before I go to bed.

Limit alcohol esp beer as much as possible.   No limit on how much of the above you can eat.   

No coffee after 4pm.  Lots of water during day.

It really works and the weight has dropped off - I do one gym session a week with a trainer and 1/2 sessions of Krav Maga which involves exercise and then one round of golf at weekend if I can.  Ive dropped over 11kg and 7% body fat.

Offline david92

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2016, 15:27:44 »
Over 11kg lost already.....

Only have processed meat for breakfast a couple of times a week.  Normally have salmon, prawns or chicken.  Always have 3 eggs though.

Been told the only way I'm going to lose further weight/body fat is to increase the amount I'm eating a day.

....how does eating more help you lose weight!?
WITB
TM M2 9.5 with Oban HB Kiyoshi
Calloway Epic Graphite Design g series
Hybrids Callaway 815 18/20/23 Accra hybrid Stiff flex
Irons Mizuno MP18SC KBS Tour V +1/2"
Loads of Vokey wedges !!..and several putters...of which I am having most success with old Yes Callie 36" Superstroke mid size grip...probably had this putter for at least 10+yrs!

Offline Chip_Unsure

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2016, 15:44:51 »
caveat - I'm a fat f..k

As I understand it, your body effectively goes into starvation mode and stops breaking down and burning fat.

So you need to put more good stuff in, to burn off more off the blubber.

Someone will no doubt correct me.

Interesting read though.  Freded certainly looked great when I met him yesterday  :gay: :chuckle:
WITB
TM M1 2017 9.5° w/ Hzrdus Black 65 6.0
TM M1 2017 15° w/ Speeder Pro84 stiff
Titleist 816h2 19° w/ motore speeder 9.8 stiff
Bridgestone j15 w/ KBS Tour 125s
Vokey SM6 50/54/58 w/ KBS Tour 125s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m / Squareback 2018

Offline freded

• 2 Iron
« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2016, 16:00:59 »
caveat - I'm a fat f..k

As I understand it, your body effectively goes into starvation mode and stops breaking down and burning fat.

So you need to put more good stuff in, to burn off more off the blubber.

Someone will no doubt correct me.

Interesting read though.  Freded certainly looked great when I met him yesterday  :gay: :chuckle:

Exactly what Rob says.   If you don't eat enough, your body goes into starvation mode and starts storing fat.  Also, if you don't eat enough, you'll burn through muscle rather than fat.

Its eating the right things though and not just eating more of anything.

Offline Galway Stevie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 2 Iron
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:19:41 »
I was already a member of a gym for swimming as Ireland don't believe in Public Swimming pools but I got to the stage with my Arthritis that as the weather gets colder I tend to go into hibernation until April and feel crap until sometime in July  :suicide:

I went to see a physio about 2 months ago and started slowly with basic mobility, strengthening exercises and bike resulting in a 20 minute routine I do in the gym before work. After 8 weeks with a vacation break in the middle I'm going 5 days a week for about 45 minutes every morning and with not a lot else changing I am feeling a great benefit from it.

Would be perfect if every naturally thin person and medical professional would stop asking when I'll be losing the weight.  :banghead:

I would definitely suggest getting someone in the know to get a workout plan written up and stick to it with periodic adjustments. can't say I've ever been much of a gym fan but I think I've gotten into the habit and it's all good
WITB

Callaway XR 10.5 (Set 11.5 Neutral)
TE Exotics 16.5* CB1 Bassara X-flex
Callaway UT 18*
Adams Idea Pro 20*
Ping i 4-PW AWT 2.0 Reg
Ping Gorge 52* Reg
Ping Gorge 58* Reg
Whitlam Proto 33"

Current Club. Galway Bay Golf Club HC: 12.7

Offline Yanner

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • 4 Iron
    • Flat available for rent!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2016, 13:06:41 »

Limit alcohol esp beer as much as possible.   No limit on how much of the above you can eat.   

It really works and the weight has dropped off - I do one gym session a week with a trainer and 1/2 sessions of Krav Maga which involves exercise and then one round of golf at weekend if I can.  Ive dropped over 11kg and 7% body fat.

That strikes me as keto/Atkins ?

Offline freded

• 2 Iron
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2016, 15:50:21 »
That strikes me as keto/Atkins ?

It's not Atkins as that allows diary. 

Offline Yanner

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • 4 Iron
    • Flat available for rent!
« Reply #25 on: Dec 02, 2016, 07:56:04 »
It's not Atkins as that allows diary.

But you are pretty much carb free, or the dietary equivalent? I'm not looking to lose weight but I've been looking at similar for endurance cycling, you lose a bit of explosive kick but you'll always carry enough fat and therefore energy to just keep going.

Offline euros

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #26 on: Dec 02, 2016, 08:21:29 »
Have been signed up for the Liege-Bastogne-Liege in April 2017. Only 271Km on the bike with 4.4Km of climbing thrown in to make it challenging!

http://www.sport.be/lblcyclo/2016/en/parcours/map/#3
http://www.sport.be/lblcyclo/2016/en/parcours/

Bit longer than i originally thought but now that I'm signed up there is no going back. A lot of training and weight loss required!!
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2016, 08:24:37 by euros »
I carry clubs but cant use any of them

Offline MisterS3

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Driver
« Reply #27 on: Dec 02, 2016, 13:59:38 »
But you are pretty much carb free, or the dietary equivalent? I'm not looking to lose weight but I've been looking at similar for endurance cycling, you lose a bit of explosive kick but you'll always carry enough fat and therefore energy to just keep going.

I thought that too. A carb free diet is a good way of getting results short term but it's not good for the body - although you'll find articles backing a carb free diet online and vice versa. I'm going off the back of what my mum was advising when the atkins diet took off. Current research / findings may be different.

When i was working out this is what i was told to do for normal meals:

Morning 100% Carbs
Lunch 50% Carb 50% Protien
Dinner 100% Protein

Salad and veg can be mixed in throughout the day.

That's very simplified. But the issue with Carb free / protein diets are that unless you're monitoring your bloods - you could be doing damage and lead to issues with insulin production / diabetes. I don't wish that on anyone but just a heads up and maybe worth asking a few detailed questions before cutting out things.

I was always told to have a balance of food like above - keeping input a few hundred cals below what you burn (not too much).  And every 2 weeks eat KFC etc just to avoid your body adapting to your diet and harvesting / storing fats.

But everyone is different. Best of with your journey.

Season 1 24.1 -> 16.8 1 medal
Season 2 16.8 -> 14.1 2 medals
Season 3 14.1 -> 12.5 Lanark Open
Season 4 12.5-12.6-12.3 2nd Bruce Sharp Trophy
Season 5 12.3-12.5 'Wasted Year'
Season 6 12.5- 
Cawder Golf Club

Offline Stu-Pid

• Shortened to 67"
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Driver
  • Current HC: 7
« Reply #28 on: Dec 02, 2016, 15:49:44 »
And every 2 weeks eat KFC etc just to avoid your body adapting to your diet and harvesting / storing fats.

Ben does this every 2 days just to be on the safe side.

Offline Ritchie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 6 Iron
« Reply #29 on: Dec 02, 2016, 16:07:18 »

Late to the party to this thread as I've been out for 3 lunches and 3 dinners - not good for my muffin tops.

However, as a fairly regular gym goer and healthy eater this is a perfect diet. Nice big healthy breakfast - ideally containing a protein source. Snack twice a day and not too much fruit as high in sugar and gets blood sugar levels racing. Cottage cheese, nuts (not too much, high in fat - but good fats), dried fruit, carrots etc. Healthy non-carb lunch and the same for dinner.
Ideally tuna/chicken/turkey etc for lunch and dinner and a slower protein as a late night snack is ok - cottage cheese, this is casein protein which works slower and over a longer period (i.e. overnight).
Creetine is a quicker acting protein which helps repair muscles hence why creetine is good post workout.

Little and often helps keep your metabolism working to a high level and actually helps weight loss.
In my old job I'd be eating up to 6 or 7 times a day but very small meals.

Workout wise: ideally IMO 2 cardio sessions and 2 circuit/body weight type workout would be ideal.
The body gets used to workouts quickly so you need to constantly mix it up to keep the body working hard all the time.

Sounds like I know it all - which I don't. New Dad this year and put on a stone plus as less time to do all the things I mention above. Slowly getting back into it but it takes time. Patience is key, there is no 30 day magic diet, it's 6-9 months hard work. FACT!!!

Enjoy the weekend - I'm back down the pub.

Driver: 915D2 8.5* Rogue Silver
3 wood: M2 Tour
Driving Iron: Srixon ZU65
Irons: Mizuno MP5's - S300's
Gap Gap wedge: Mizuno MPT5 50* bent to 49*
Gap Wedge: Vokey SM6 54*
Lob Wedge: Vokey SM6 58*
Putter: TM Maranello TP

Recent