Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jun 20, 2019, 18:02:59

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LPGA result  (Read 2883 times)

Offline oldnovice

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • 5 Iron
Re: LPGA result
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2017, 17:34:27 »
just try & enjoy the game & try to beat the course!!

( alas it usually wins )

Offline MisterS3

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Driver
LPGA result
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2017, 20:09:02 »
For me it's a 2 for shot penalty. She mismarked her ball. Did she gain an advantage? Probably not. But she broke a very simple rule by enough of a margin as to be noticeable. So it can't be ignored or it filters down to our game. Also as Graham points out.... This could be a routine thing she does.

The other 2 for signing the wrong score is one of the stupidest rules imho. At the point in time with all known facts she signed the correct score. It's not as if she added up wrong. So having been presented with new evidence, she should be allowed to amend her score.

Also the timing of her being told seems strange. I'll need to read up on when the LPGA knew of the penalties.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Season 1 24.1 -> 16.8 1 medal
Season 2 16.8 -> 14.1 2 medals
Season 3 14.1 -> 12.5 Lanark Open
Season 4 12.5-12.6-12.3 2nd Bruce Sharp Trophy
Season 5 12.3-12.5 'Wasted Year'
Season 6 12.5- 
Cawder Golf Club

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2017, 21:19:27 »
She can still come round my place for a rules session.
Callaway Epic 10.5* / Hzrdus T800 6.0
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Ping G400 14.5*  / Tour 75 reg
Ping G400  19* & 22*/ Tour 80 reg
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW / DG XP95 stiff
Vega VW06 54* & 58*
TM Spider Tour Black

Offline Gareth

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • 2 Iron
    • Bespoke Automotive Consulting
« Reply #18 on: Apr 03, 2017, 21:42:03 »
She can still come round my place for a rules session.

I bet....
I love the sand belt but it's not good for keeping up trousers in the rain...

Offline Chip Out Sideways

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 8 iron
  • Newbury and Crookham Golf Club
« Reply #19 on: Apr 03, 2017, 21:55:57 »
I am also torn.  Once it had rolled round to the start of round 4 arguably the slate should be 'cleaned' so to speak but under the current tournament rules once it has been spotted the procedure were followed correctly.

My main issue is how the error occurred.  The video to me looks very dodgy to me to be honest.  If it had been a minute or so while someone else putted I could understand the 'error' but as it was almost instantaneous I find the placement odd in the extreme.  At best very careless, at worst she moved it deliberately.  Either way only herself to blame under the current rules.

The other issue that slightly bothers me is that no-one else spotted it, particularly playing partners and rules officials.  I know the move of the ball was small but that is what we are on the course to do when marking someones card.
Ping G25 9 Degree Ping TFC Regular
3 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
5 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
Rescues - 19&23 Mizuno MP650 - Orochi Regular
Mizuno MX300 5-PW Dynalite Gold Regular
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Blade 50 & 56 (2 dot) - Dynamic Gold Regular
Putter - Wilson Staff 8883 (Black)
Pro V1 or Srixon AD333 Tour

More spare clubs, particularly 3 woods, than is feasible but less than I had!

Offline Stu-Pid

• Shortened to 67"
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Driver
  • Current HC: 7
LPGA result
« Reply #20 on: Apr 03, 2017, 21:56:31 »
Personally I agree with removing the extra 2 stroke penalty for signing for the wrong score.  If the penalty can be applied after the fact then there is no point in double penalising them IMO. 

I guess the counter argument would be that the extra penalty is for the fact that you have a false position on the leaderboard and potentially that could affect other players in the field.

Personally I would go a step further and remove the need for the players to keep their own scores on the top tours.  Have a walking scorer with every group who is responsible for keeping the scores and acting as another set of eyes in the group to watch for potential issues or violations.  If penalties are discovered after the fact by TV then the scores are simply adjusted unless the player is deemed to have deliberately cheated or not declared a potential breach.

Offline Scotty

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #21 on: Apr 03, 2017, 22:17:25 »
My main issue is how the error occurred.  The video to me looks very dodgy to me to be honest.  If it had been a minute or so while someone else putted I could understand the 'error' but as it was almost instantaneous I find the placement odd in the extreme. 

She wasn't looking at the hole when marking and thought she was marking behind the ball, relative to the cup. Then moved her ball to line up the logo for the putt, while looking at the hole and placed it in line with the marker and the hole, presuming she marked correctly in the first place, which she hadn't. Very easily done.

Offline Chip Out Sideways

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 8 iron
  • Newbury and Crookham Golf Club
« Reply #22 on: Apr 03, 2017, 23:06:17 »
I don't like to think she 'cheated' so I hope your explanation has merit Scot but in many ways it makes the carelessness even less forgivable!  I would still like to think that if that was me I would 'know' where the ball started and finished during the process.

I agree with others that 4 shots seems too many but it is correct under the current procedures.  However I do think a line needs to be drawn as to how far back in time such incidents can be called/applied.  I would vote the start of the next round of the tournament so all competitors know the score.  Whether such arm-chair rules champions should even be allowed to influence is a big question (I actually say no).  What would have happened if the call was made 90 minutes later say? Win to lose; no time to recover the situation; trophy handed back????
Ping G25 9 Degree Ping TFC Regular
3 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
5 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
Rescues - 19&23 Mizuno MP650 - Orochi Regular
Mizuno MX300 5-PW Dynalite Gold Regular
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Blade 50 & 56 (2 dot) - Dynamic Gold Regular
Putter - Wilson Staff 8883 (Black)
Pro V1 or Srixon AD333 Tour

More spare clubs, particularly 3 woods, than is feasible but less than I had!

Offline YOOFALLMAN

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #23 on: Apr 04, 2017, 10:34:50 »
I've looked at this again - there's  "slow-mo" video on Social Media - I'm afraid that quite simply she's been caught out as a cheating fukcer ! She can have no complaints about her penalty. No room in the game for that.  :ninja:
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2017, 10:37:08 by YOOFALLMAN »

Offline david92

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #24 on: Apr 04, 2017, 10:42:26 »
I've looked at this again - there's  "slow-mo" video on Social Media - I'm afraid that quite simply she's been caught out as a cheating fukcer ! She can have no complaints about her penalty. No room in the game for that.  :ninja:

Looks odd to say the least...I think fundamentally rules are rules and the pro's should know them inside out ...they are paid enough to compete so a basic requirement should be that they are held to account to rules...the only issue I do have is that it was not for a round in progress but that is balanced by the fact that the competition is a 4 round event.

But can you imagine cricket, rugby or football overturning a result or score from the previous day!!....and on the basis of some guy calling in from a TV viewing :blink: :blink:
WITB
TM M2 9.5 with Oban HB Kiyoshi
Calloway Epic Graphite Design g series
Hybrids Callaway 815 18/20/23 Accra hybrid Stiff flex
Irons Mizuno MP18SC KBS Tour V +1/2"
Loads of Vokey wedges !!..and several putters...of which I am having most success with old Yes Callie 36" Superstroke mid size grip...probably had this putter for at least 10+yrs!

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014
« Reply #25 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:00:05 »

But can you imagine cricket, rugby or football overturning a result or score from the previous day!!....and on the basis of some guy calling in from a TV viewing :blink: :blink:

Wouldn't just be one guy ringing.....Imagine the size of the call-centre required....unemployment solved in a flash!!!!!
Callaway Epic 10.5* / Hzrdus T800 6.0
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Ping G400 14.5*  / Tour 75 reg
Ping G400  19* & 22*/ Tour 80 reg
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW / DG XP95 stiff
Vega VW06 54* & 58*
TM Spider Tour Black

Offline Stu-Pid

• Shortened to 67"
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Driver
  • Current HC: 7
« Reply #26 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:00:40 »
The problem is that all of the analogies with other sports simply don't work, as golf is pretty much the only sport where the players are also the referees.  In football defenders don't turn round to the referee and say that he should have awarded a penalty as he was holding the attackers shirt from the corner, but in golf the players are supposed to hold their hands up and admit when they break the rules, even if it is completely accidental or by tiny fractions.  Players are also meant to act as referees for the rest of their group, and if they spot a breach then they have to report it to protect the rest of the field.

In this case both the player and her playing partner (plus their caddies) failed to spot that she had broken a rule which should have resulted in a penalty, so at that point every other player in the field was disadvantaged.  If TV cameras pick up rules breaches then it is better than those breaches going unnoticed or unreported IMO.

At the end of the day she broke a rule, and she received the correct penalty by the rules.  The timing and circumstances were awkward to say the least, but that doesn't stop the outcome being the correct one.

As I said in a previous post, if they introduce a cut off for reporting violations (start of next round for example) then what happens when someone wins a major by one shot but it is discovered (during the tournament) that they should have been penalised 2 shots on a previous day?  Surely that is worse than what happened here?

Offline Gareth

• 2 Iron
« Reply #27 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:05:52 »

I can forgive her. She's hot looking, very rich and a very good golfer......these things really matter in life   :tongue:

Offline YOOFALLMAN

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #28 on: Apr 04, 2017, 11:10:23 »

I can forgive her. She's hot looking, very rich and a very good golfer......these things really matter in life   :tongue:

...and to that ....I say....yes, Agreed 100% !!   :chuckle:

Offline Gareth

• 2 Iron
« Reply #29 on: Apr 04, 2017, 12:36:55 »
...and to that ....I say....yes, Agreed 100% !!   :chuckle:

:yes: :thumbup1:

Recent