Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jan 20, 2019, 18:50:00

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Handicap & Qualifying rounds  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014
Re: Handicap & Qualifying rounds
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2017, 20:48:06 »
It's the players responsibility to return away scores to their home club for handicap adjustments.

I always kept my stableford score and made a point of finding out the CSS so any adjustment was accurate.

However in recent years I now check CDH and HDID to ensure that my away scores are updated within a few days by the away club as they should get returned automatically now.

This may only apply to  Scotland

No this applies in England as well.... official singles open comps should be recorded by the hosting club and reported via the CDH system back to the home club.... this does not however absolve the individual player from his own responsibility to report his score back to his home club.

However.... there seems to be a much greater range of "Opens" in Scotland than in England.... much more of a culture, if you like. Just looking at the list of opens hosted by other clubs that are posted on our clubs noticeboard shows the vast majority of them are betterball, greensomes, 4 man team events.... very few individual comps for single golfers.
Callaway Epic 10.5* / Hzrdus T800 6.0
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Ping G400 14.5  / Tour 75 reg
Ping G400  19* & 22*/ Tour 80 reg
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW / DG XP95 stiff
Callaway MD4 54* & 58*
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Offline Scotty

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2017, 20:50:39 »
England golf have advised clubs that their players should start informing their home club of their performance in "non-qualifying competitions" held at away clubs. They also want clubs to start getting an understanding of how players are performing in regularly held roll-ups, swindles and other semi-formally organised rounds.

(the term "roll-up" to me encompasses several different sorts of play....we have several competitions throughout the year where the comp tee-times are not fixed....anyone can play during the day and enter the competition.....on the flip side we also have, on non-competition days, groups of tee times blocked out for informal groups to play together under whatever format they like under social conditions....these are not club competitions but semi-formal social golf....nothing to do with the Competitions Committee).

The requirement to report scores includes formats such as Team events, singles, 4BBB but not Scrambles, Greensomes or Forusomes.

The recording of such rounds is purely to provide additional information to the handicap committee at the time they conduct the Annual Review.

The Annual Review is a process that all handicapping committees should follow (think the general dates are anytime between November 1st and Jan 31st) where the local clubs handicapping computer system has the ability to run a report by which a players performance through out the year is statistically analysed....players who's performance is better/worse than the "statistical norms" are then flagged up by the computer which makes a recommendation as to how much a players handicap might be increased/decreased.

With regards your final answer....no, you wont automatically get a chop.....but continued good performance may well be taken into account if the computer flags you for a handicap change at the annual review.

Great info, thanks very much!

Offline Scotty

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2017, 21:02:18 »
Thanks for the information Nick.

I've long said that I've always found it strange that someone can play 50- 60 rounds of golf a year but their handicap will only be based on 10- 20% of those rounds.  I know that there is an argument for the 'card in hand' pressure, but ultimately I've always thought that a HC should reflect someone's ability to play golf, not ability to play golf under a very specific set of conditions.

I also think that some of the issues with the US system are less to do with every round counting (although that is not actually the case, it's best 10 of last 20 cards I think) and more that it seems that many US golfers are completely unable to play to the correct rules.  I would have thought that most swindles and society golf in the UK play to the usual rules of golf, and in general I think that UK golf culture is a long way from the US culture of mulligans and rather 'generous' interpretations of the rules.

More importantly though, does anyone really care if someone possesses a vanity HC?  I guess when you get down to Cat 1 levels a vanity HC could be detrimental in terms of allowing qualification for competitions which really you shouldn't be eligible for, but for 90% of the players in the UK a HC that is too low by a shot or two is not going to cause anyone any problems other than themselves.

Totally agree, great post.

Only thing I will say, going slightly off topic is on low handicaps. I know of some (relatively) super shit players playing off +1 or +2 that avoid every single ballot in national events. They don't play counting rounds at their home club. Mix that with CSS at national events often at least 3 or 4 over par and you have an environment for said players to shoot 6 over every week, keep their low handicap and always gaining a spot in the nationals. Meanwhile, you have other guys on the edge of entry criteria (me, for example) with a scratch or 1 handicap that shoot lower scores week in, week out than these guys and get balloted out in 50% of national events.

The ability for these guys to pick and choose which semi-social rounds they report to their club will perhaps only make this worse.

Offline Chip Out Sideways

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 8 iron
  • Newbury and Crookham Golf Club
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2017, 22:51:52 »
My point about away opens was that even when it should have been easy to report back it was not.  If you have an obvious +0.1 it is easy but if you are near a buffer zone or getting a cut unless you know the away player CSS it is guess work.  CDH was meant to make this easy but so many clubs don't have a clue how to use it.
Ping G25 9 Degree Ping TFC Regular
3 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
5 wood - TM V Steel Tour Issue - RIP Phenom Regular
Rescues - 19&23 Mizuno MP650 - Orochi Regular
Mizuno MX300 5-PW Dynalite Gold Regular
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Blade 50 & 56 (2 dot) - Dynamic Gold Regular
Putter - Wilson Staff 8883 (Black)
Pro V1 or Srixon AD333 Tour

More spare clubs, particularly 3 woods, than is feasible but less than I had!

Offline freded

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • 2 Iron
« Reply #19 on: Apr 05, 2017, 17:05:28 »
Totally agree, great post.

Only thing I will say, going slightly off topic is on low handicaps. I know of some (relatively) super shit players playing off +1 or +2 that avoid every single ballot in national events. They don't play counting rounds at their home club. Mix that with CSS at national events often at least 3 or 4 over par and you have an environment for said players to shoot 6 over every week, keep their low handicap and always gaining a spot in the nationals. Meanwhile, you have other guys on the edge of entry criteria (me, for example) with a scratch or 1 handicap that shoot lower scores week in, week out than these guys and get balloted out in 50% of national events.

The ability for these guys to pick and choose which semi-social rounds they report to their club will perhaps only make this worse.

If a plus 1 or 2 is shooting 6 over they won't be keeping their plus handicap regardless of CSS going to 3/4 over and would have to really limit which comps they play in.

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014
« Reply #20 on: Apr 08, 2017, 14:54:05 »
Will be interesting to see how many of our club who are playing at Diss on Friday log their score with the club.

(We have a folder in the club shop for the purpose of logging scores....I know one of our ex-Captains logged a score recently after playing in a Suffolk Captains meet but will be interesting to see how many other folks are aware, or just plain bothered, enough to log their score)

As it happens... our Handicap Secretary played at Diss and brought with him a form for the society organiser to fill in with details of everybody scores!!!!
Callaway Epic 10.5* / Hzrdus T800 6.0
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Ping G400 14.5  / Tour 75 reg
Ping G400  19* & 22*/ Tour 80 reg
Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW / DG XP95 stiff
Callaway MD4 54* & 58*
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Recent