Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jan 20, 2019, 19:20:59

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wedge Shafts  (Read 633 times)

Offline Jono

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 8 iron
Wedge Shafts
« on: Jun 06, 2017, 20:05:19 »
Evening all,

I've been playing quite a lot lately and have built up a picture of a few things id like to maybe look at tweaking, so your advice would be appreciated. Ive been playing my wedges with probably a 80% shot at most as I find that if i swing at them any harder and getting towards a full shot two things happen.

1) I loose accuracy

2) The spin becomes a little excessive and the shots ballon more and go even higher than an already (IMO) too higher ball flight.

With this in mind I'm thinking about how my equipment can help me lower my ball flight (which is something I'm quite happy to see and play with as I'm confident of stopping the ball even with a lower flight) and control the spin a little more reducing balloning. Currently my wedges have kbs wedge flex shafts in, does anyone have experiences with with stiffer shafts in their wedges?
When I say stiffer i mean something considerably stiffer than an off the shelf standard wedge shaft maybe SS'd x flex etc?

Interested to hear everyones thoughts and advice.

Offline YOOFALLMAN

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • 4 Iron
Re: Wedge Shafts
« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2017, 09:48:13 »
Jono....I don't want to sound like the proverbial smart ar$e here ....but go and see your Pro....its far more likely...correction...it is.....more technique than equipment.. :omg:

Online Chip_Unsure

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:24:34 »
What I would say is there is a massive difference on a full swing shot hitting say a DG Spinner and a KBS 610 regardless of technique.  KBS wedge shaft is ok, I've tried it and it worked.

I went from having some Spinners that were junk on full swings (floaty shots that all went right), to putting a KBS Tour V in my gap wedge (matched to my irons) and 610's in my 54/ 60.  The 54 is MUCH better on full swings.

Wedge shafts in general are cheap, so maybe buy something to try if you can fit it yourself.  Personally I think having a wedge shaft stiffer than your irons is counterintuitive you still need to generate spin, especially on partial shots, but it might work for you.  I'd suggest just trying a lower launching/ spinning wedge shaft.
WITB
TM M1 2017 9.5° w/ Hzrdus Black 65 6.0
TM M1 2017 15° w/ Speeder Pro84 stiff
Titleist 816h2 19° w/ motore speeder 9.8 stiff
Bridgestone j15 w/ KBS Tour 125s
Vokey SM6 50/54/58 w/ KBS Tour 125s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m / Squareback 2018

Offline Cols_Ears

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • 3 Iron
  • Current HCap: 5.8
« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:45:06 »
Jono

One thing before we start - there is no such thing as a KBS Wedge Flex shaft. All KBS shafts (including the standard KBS Wedge) comes in specific flex designations - an off the shelf wedge with a KBS shaft in it might be stiff or regular - you would have to check the step pattern or the engraving on the butt to find out which it is.

I would also agree with Graham so some degree - working with your Pro on learning the correct impact position will likely improve the flight of your full wedge shots more than simply switching shafts.

That said KBS have 3 different specific wedge shafts in the range, so in order of lowest to highest launching:

610 wedge - lowest flight & spin
Wedge (best matched to standard KBS Tour in terms of feel / flight)
Hi Rev (2.0) - higher spin & flight

Then you could also go with the wedge shaft from your iron set, so C-Taper Tour V etc if you wished. I tried C-Tapers in my wedges and hated them...

Flex wise I personally like the same flex or (one softer in the shortest wedge) that I play in my irons - I don't like them too stiff as I think it makes them feel harsh and can upset your tempo on partial shots. You have the think what percentages of partial shots to full shots you play with each of your wedges and base your choice on that as well - for instance because I very rarely hit my 58° for full shots the shaft I have in that is a flex softer than the rest of my set and works great (it came that way I didn't do it on purpose btw).

Hope that helps.
:taylormade: M1 430 10.5° with Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec V6.2 Stiff
Exotics EX8 Beta (16.5°) with Accra SE80 M4 Stiff
PXG 0311X 2i (bent to 19°) with Aerotech Steelfiber 110 F4 
:ping: iBlades Green Dot 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW +½"
:bridgestone: WC Design Wedges 48°, 53°, 58° with KBS Wedge shafts
Whitlam 92014 Prototype
:bridgestone: B330S (2017)

Online Scotty

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #4 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:54:43 »
Wedge shafts vary considerably in terms of spin. Most folks use same or one less flex in wedges because you're not swinging them at full speed and to assist with feel.

DG tour issue S400 wedge shafts work well for me, I always found KBS to be too high and loopy and not penetrating at all. Plus KBS shafts give me terrible tennis elbow.

That said, can't beat a few lessons when it comes to wedge flight. You can change flight very easily with a few simple tweaks to your full, 3/4 and half wedge swings without changing technique too much.

Go see your coach / pro, make the changes, then if your flight still needs to be somewhere else, then start messing with shafts.

Recent