Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 21, 2018, 18:54:57

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Open Qualifying 2018  (Read 738 times)

Offline david92

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • 4 Iron
Re: Open Qualifying 2018
« Reply #15 on: Jul 02, 2018, 10:25:39 »
He's just done a posting on buying clubs in Charity Shops........'claims' he picked up a set of Callaway iron and woods along with putter for £25 from one in Didsbury and then went to Withington GC to shoot under par for 9 holes.
Gave up watching after again he 'claimed' was 3 under after 4.

Felt like messaging him why he didn't keep them to play at Mere with........

He's also been in the next bay at the Driving Range at High Legh to me a couple of times - comes across as a bit of a c**K, but not as bad as Shields or Crossfield - but has the Bose headphones on, the sticks, the camera etc.

I think these guys have had their high watermark moment...there is only so many "zany and hilarious" course blogs they can make with various mates...and as for their club testing it seems to have got more sit on the fence...Crosfield anti TM and anti fitting!...Finch doesn't really bother but is he still using the one length irons?...Shiels seems also to have taken a bit of a step back and tried to make his posts more slick....
WITB
TM M2 9.5 with Oban HB Kiyoshi
Calloway Epic Graphite Design g series
Hybrids Callaway 815 18/20/23 Accra hybrid Stiff flex
Irons Mizuno MP18SC KBS Tour V +1/2"
Loads of Vokey wedges !!..and several putters...of which I am having most success with old Yes Callie 36" Superstroke mid size grip...probably had this putter for at least 10+yrs!

Offline inoculator

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • 3 Iron
« Reply #16 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:03:17 »
The Crossfield/TM thing is interesting, I don't believe he is anti TM at all and I can kind of see his point.

He subsequently reviewed some of their clubs and said they were fine, just doesn't buy into the twist face thing. As we only have his side to go on tricky to find out what happened but my understanding is they refused to provide him the clubs to test as he had signed a deal with Titelist and they thought he wouldn't be impartial because of that. Kind of ironic as they expect us to listen to their staff players say how great the new clubs are  :lol:

As far as anti-fitting I'd say that's also a misrepresentation. He does encourage fitting but feels there are limits to what you can achieve and that improving strike can achieve better results.

Just my 2p the wacky course vids I can live without.
"Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"

Offline srp973

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • 4 Iron
    • Home Club - Ashton-on-Mersey, Manchester
« Reply #17 on: Jul 02, 2018, 12:05:39 »
I think these guys have had their high watermark moment...there is only so many "zany and hilarious" course blogs they can make with various mates...and as for their club testing it seems to have got more sit on the fence...Crosfield anti TM and anti fitting!...Finch doesn't really bother but is he still using the one length irons?...Shiels seems also to have taken a bit of a step back and tried to make his posts more slick....

Doubt it as his bag was a Hoofer with his name all over it.........
WITB
Callaway XR Speed 10.5 T800 Blue Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3 wood T800 Blue Reg
Adam Pro-Mini 18
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-PW with Graphite Project X 6.0LZ
Cleveland 48 Black
Mizuno Tp-5 Black 54 & 60
Nike Method
Mizuno Pro Cart Bag with Motocaddy M3 Pro
Titleist ProV1
Footjoy BOA FlexiTwist

Handicap 2018 - 7.5 and upward.......and upward........

Offline euros

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #18 on: Jul 03, 2018, 08:39:07 »
At least he didn't do a McDowell. Lost his clubs and threw in the towel. I'm sure he could have sourced something and given it a go. You always have that reasoning at the end as well as having a chance to qualify. 
I carry clubs but cant use any of them

Offline braehead

• 5 Iron
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:36:54 »
At least he didn't do a McDowell. Lost his clubs and threw in the towel. I'm sure he could have sourced something and given it a go. You always have that reasoning at the end as well as having a chance to qualify.
I just read than on the BBC.  Surely there is a tour van / fitter somewhere that could have exactly replicated his set in time for today.  Despite his current low ranking and his comments earlier in the year about being determined to improve that feels a little defeatist.  Maybe the fear was that he'd use new kit and play better!

Offline euros

• Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #20 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:37:50 »
Wouldn't that be a positive?

Offline 3puttwizard

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Driver
« Reply #21 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:38:57 »
You have a stormer in the regional qualifiers then get to Princes...top 3 go through I think.

Goosen is playing  :chuckle:
2018:12.4>9.1

M1 10° Rogue Silver
M2 3HL Hzrdus Black
JPX 900 Forged 4-PW KBS X
Cally 47/52 wedges
SM6 58 M Grind
Odyessy O Works Red #1
Chrome Soft

Offline Chip_Unsure

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • 2 Iron
« Reply #22 on: Jul 03, 2018, 10:50:25 »
I just read than on the BBC.  Surely there is a tour van / fitter somewhere that could have exactly replicated his set in time for today.  Despite his current low ranking and his comments earlier in the year about being determined to improve that feels a little defeatist.  Maybe the fear was that he'd use new kit and play better!

Reading about this, I think he reckons he'll have a better chance being fresh for Irish and Scottish opens where top 3 not previously qualified get into The Open.  Rather than chopping it about for 36 holes with clubs he's not familiar with.

Maybe BS, but I did see he was also offered a lift on Els plane, declined and then lost his clubs  :picard:
WITB
TM M1 2017 9.5° w/ Hzrdus Black 65 6.0
TM M1 2017 15° w/ Speeder Pro84 stiff
Titleist 816h2 19° w/ motore speeder 9.8 stiff
Bridgestone j15 w/ KBS Tour 125s
Vokey SM6 50/54/58 w/ KBS Tour 125s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m / Squareback 2018

Online Stanster

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • 2 Iron
« Reply #23 on: Jul 03, 2018, 11:04:47 »
Thomas Bjorn was meant to be trying at Princes, but he's not in the list niw.

Maybe the thought of playing in Kentish links again was too much

Offline braehead

• 5 Iron
« Reply #24 on: Jul 03, 2018, 11:41:40 »
Reading about this, I think he reckons he'll have a better chance being fresh for Irish and Scottish opens where top 3 not previously qualified get into The Open.  Rather than chopping it about for 36 holes with clubs he's not familiar with.

Maybe BS, but I did see he was also offered a lift on Els plane, declined and then lost his clubs  :picard:

Given the stories about Els liking a bit of a fight on his plane then I think I'd turn down that offer too!

Offline euros

• Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #25 on: Jul 03, 2018, 12:16:54 »

surely playing against lower levels provides more chance than against tour pros?

Online Stanster

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • 2 Iron
« Reply #26 on: Jul 03, 2018, 17:08:35 »
You have a stormer in the regional qualifiers then get to Princes...top 3 go through I think.

Goosen is playing  :chuckle:

He seemed to be one of the few coping, winds down the course and slightly off the sea. When I left their were only 3 under par.

An hours to watch 4 holes when I first got there.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 :roulette:

Offline Jono

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 8 iron
« Reply #27 on: Jul 04, 2018, 13:45:47 »
Few lads up here have got through - James Robinson could be interesting to watch. Had 1 season on EU Tour after getting his card at q school but didn't make enough money to retain it. Won local and Regional at St Annes. Marcus Armitage is another to watch who plays on Challenge tour and 1836 tour in-between  challenge tour events (NW local tour)

Be good to see how they get on with nothing to loose and everything to gain in this one off event.

Recent