Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 26, 2019, 10:39:03

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Putter grip choices  (Read 432 times)

Offline braehead

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • 5 Iron
Putter grip choices
« on: Jan 31, 2019, 12:55:42 »
Does anyone know of an alternative to the Scotty Cameron Pistolero grip.  I really like it but the price for a new one is rediculous. Are there any aftermarket alternatives? I've got an odyssey one that is similar in shape but just not quite right.

Offline Stanster

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
Re: Putter grip choices
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2019, 13:05:54 »
I've tried Iguana grips (clubs and putter) and they've been fine.

Don't know if something like this is worth a punt ?

http://www.iguana-golf.com/products/putter.html?Name=#snakeskin

Offline YOOFALLMAN

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • 4 Iron
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2019, 13:19:22 »
Does anyone know of an alternative to the Scotty Cameron Pistolero grip.  I really like it but the price for a new one is rediculous. Are there any aftermarket alternatives? I've got an odyssey one that is similar in shape but just not quite right.

Keith - the PingMan grips are probably as close as you can get ......but they're more akin to a Pistolini than the Pistolero. I've had one ( a Pistolero ) on my Newport for over seven years though and its still going strong - they're pretty long lasting so perhaps the cost of a new replacement isn't as bad as you might think. I really like the feel and prefer the  "axe handle " profile - I've pulled it off two or three times and tried all sorts of experimental alternatives but keep going back to the same, original grip.   I've a "pulled" spare at home which I was given by a mate  ;)  as a long term replacement.....but if you know anyone who is headed over to Uncle Sam's any time soon and can get one shipped to their US Address,  they're thirty seven bucks a pop from scottycameron.com

G

P.S. Brilliant news re. Arabella today  :) :)

Offline braehead

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • 5 Iron
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2019, 13:38:18 »
Thanks Graham - that's been some journey and I'm very glad it's coming to an end.

Funny you mention the Ping grips - I'm just looking at them now.  I totally agree with you on the way the "axe handle" feels in your left hand.  For me it's a grip that's not to thick and not too thin and really reminds me of a putter I had when I was a kid. 

From my limited google searches (and some long WRX threads) it seems there is nothing out there that has the same profile.  GolfPride don't do one either, even though they make the Pistolero.   I guess it's getting pulled and transferred. 

Offline Pleasedwith3putts

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • 9 Iron
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019, 09:26:45 »
Take a look at the Lamkin sink 11" squared grip. Similar profile and I actually prefer the feel of the Lamkin.

They don't make them anymore but plenty of stock knocking about on places like Ebay with quite a few colour choices too

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lamkin-Sink-Squared-11-inch-Golf-Putter-Grip/312311657009?epid=1963689687&hash=item48b739b231:g:~EoAAOSweIlb5vaN:rk:4:pf:0

Online ScottyGilbert

• Gap Wedge
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2019, 10:54:35 »
Keith - the PingMan grips are probably as close as you can get ......but they're more akin to a Pistolini than the Pistolero. I've had one ( a Pistolero ) on my Newport for over seven years though and its still going strong - they're pretty long lasting so perhaps the cost of a new replacement isn't as bad as you might think. I really like the feel and prefer the  "axe handle " profile - I've pulled it off two or three times and tried all sorts of experimental alternatives but keep going back to the same, original grip.   I've a "pulled" spare at home which I was given by a mate  ;)  as a long term replacement.....but if you know anyone who is headed over to Uncle Sam's any time soon and can get one shipped to their US Address,  they're thirty seven bucks a pop from scottycameron.com

G

P.S. Brilliant news re. Arabella today  :) :)

;)

These are the ultimate combo for me, love the no taper feel in the bottom hand, but the straight one's feel tiny in my left....
Have the 1.0 version on my TM Spider and it gives me the best of both worlds.
Like a fat pistolero...

Online Cols_Ears

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • 3 Iron
  • Current HCap: 5.8
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2019, 13:02:48 »
Is the the Superstroke Pistol GT1.0 Scotty?

I have the Pistol GT Tour which is slightly thinner but the same profile. I was actually going to suggest that to Keith - but obviously has a larger bottom hand with no taper. I like them.

Another one that is quite close in shape is probably the Golf Pride Players Wrap - same shape(ish) as the Pistolero, but with wrap effect under the back half. Maybe not quite as big at the top. https://www.golfpride.com/grips/players-wrap/
:ping: G400 10.5° with Project X HC HzRdus Yellow 76g 6.0
:taylormade: M1 3HL with Accra SE75 M4 Stiff
:adams: Idea Pro 18° with Fujikura Speeder TourSpec 8.8HB Stiff
:ping: iBlades Green Dot 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW +½"
SCOR 4161 Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° with KBS Wedge shafts
Ingles 12g flowneck / MannKrafted MA66 Flowneck
:bridgestone: Tour B330S/Tour BXS

Offline ianbakerfinchrules

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Pitching Wedge
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2019, 13:37:04 »
always loved the iomic grips myself
Driver Callaway razr fit 9.5 Diamana whiteboard X
3 wood Callaway razr hawk Fubuki Alpha 70 x
Rescue Taylor made rescue dual 19 degree stock stiff
Irons - Callaway razr forged 4-pw kbs x
wedges callaway jaws 52,56 x tour 60
Putter Odyssey metal x 7 34 inch

Online ScottyGilbert

• Gap Wedge
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2019, 14:51:45 »
Is the the Superstroke Pistol GT1.0 Scotty?

I have the Pistol GT Tour which is slightly thinner but the same profile. I was actually going to suggest that to Keith - but obviously has a larger bottom hand with no taper. I like them.

Another one that is quite close in shape is probably the Golf Pride Players Wrap - same shape(ish) as the Pistolero, but with wrap effect under the back half. Maybe not quite as big at the top. https://www.golfpride.com/grips/players-wrap/

Yup, mine's a horrible red, black and silver colour on the Spider, so getting switched for a nice monochrome version shortly....
I didn't know they did a thinner version, the GT1.0 is certainly not 'thin', so the Tour version sounds much closer to the Scotty

Offline Stanster

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2019, 16:17:57 »
Those golf prides are £6.95 on adore.

Offline Pleasedwith3putts

• 9 Iron
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2019, 17:19:35 »
Gamola has been knocking out a load of the previous years superstroke grips

https://pictures.gamolagolf.co.uk/2019GamolaCloseout2.pdf?utm_source=29th+Jan+-+Oakley+and+Adidas+Clearance&utm_campaign=JANSALEOAKADI19&utm_medium=email

Also worth looking at Lamkin deep etched. Same profile as Sink squared, but wider on the flat front section
« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2019, 17:39:38 by Pleasedwith3putts »

Recent