Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Sep 25, 2020, 16:33:10

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Golf and the "c" word  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Gareth

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • 2 Iron
    • Bespoke Automotive Consulting
Golf and the "c" word
« on: Oct 11, 2019, 18:19:39 »
As we all know golf is plenty hard enough without having to keep an eye on your playing partners and whether they are upholding the same standards of following the rules that we should all adhere to.

Bear with me on this one......

4 years ago I joined my new club and as a way to meet as many people as possible I joined the Saturday Roll Up which is still something I do and look forward to every weekend. After being at the club for around 8-9 months we played in a friendly four ball in this roll up and on our 12th hole I watched one of my opponents walk up to his ball in the heather about 5 yards off the fairway and put his hat over the ball and walk back to select a club from his bag on the fairway (as with most Heathland courses you cannot take your trolley into the heather) to play the ball. From around 15 feet away I watched him bend down to pick up his hat and in one movement he improved his balls lie in the heather from a "hack it out" position into a "go for the green" shot in regulation.

This is a guy who has been a member for 20+ years and was deemed (in certain circles) to be a good guy/very well established in the club. I was dumbfounded to be honest. I thought that I would not say anything until I was totally sure and saw him do it again............which I did on another 2-3 holes in the same round. On the 17th hole I watched him do it again and decided to mention it to my playing partner and as soon as I said ".....I was just going to mention that I've seen XXXXXXX move......" and he cut me off and said "yes, he did it near to me on the first hole by putting his hat down and moving the ball when picking it up...."

We just didn't know what to do/say as 2 fairly new members we were a) shocked and b) bitterly disappointed that such antics could happen.  With hindsight we both should have challenged him there or afterwards but I'm (now) ashamed to say that for the reasons stated (new members vs. established) that we didn't......but after the vent in thinking about it as new members challenging an established one what would we have to gain by not being honest and just reporting what we saw numerous times on the golf course?! A week later I mentioned it in confidence to one of my good friends who was instrumental in getting me into the club and he said he'd have a quiet chat with the President who was a friend of his. I don't know if that chat actually occurred but for the next couple of years I avoided this guy wherever possible and only had to play with him another 1/2 times and each time he employed similar tactics that I'd seen before. His other "trick" was when he'd hit it deep in the rough/heather he would look with our help for a certain amount of time and then wave us on and said "I'll keep looking, just in case" And on that day despite hitting it in some awful places he somehow found "his" ball each time when looking for it by himself and had a clear shot as well.....again, without proof, nothing was said I'm afraid.

Fast forward to this week and I have just heard that the same player has been challenged by our club Captain (he's a brilliant Captain this year....very proactive and well liked) as having a clear reputation for such antics and has now been banned from competitions for 9 months. His wife has left the club and I understand he applied to be a member at another local club but was rejected as his reputation preceded him. Quite frankly I can't see how he's got the brass neck to stay at the club and if enough people like me came forwards then I'm sure he'd be "invited" to leave.

I still very much regret not saying anything at the time (unlike me as I prefer to be both direct and honest) but it's ended with him getting his just reward and I'd be surprised if he stays once the "c" word reputation spreads around the club......which I can only see happening now. I'll probably not say anything now and will continue to avoid him as there is little value in having anything to do with him.

Interested to know what you guys would have done/said in such a case and do you have any experience of this?
I love the sand belt but it's not good for keeping up trousers in the rain...

Offline 3puttwizard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Driver
Re: Golf and the "c" word
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2019, 19:12:15 »
Sounds like he got what was coming to him and better it came from the Captain rather than you.

I’ve played with people who never watch my ball off the tee which is very annoying especially as I always find other people’s balls when they go offline. Not seen anyone kicking it about in the heather yet.
2020: 11.0

M.6 10.5 Speeder Evo 661 X
M2 3HL Hzrdus Black
JPX 900 Forged 4-PW KBS X
Cally 47/52 wedges
SM6 58 M Grind
Rife Barbados
TP5x

Offline Chip_Unsure

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2019, 19:29:25 »
Sounds like he’s a double C!!

Whilst it’s frustrating he got away with it so long at least you can reflect on his demise without having to be part of it.

Saw it at my old club where one pair would play in singles comps together and come in with ludicrous scores, when separated the scores were way worse.

Its annoying what others do, ultimately it’s about your card..... which in my case currently makes grim reading  :lol:

@ Robin, definitely agree with that, or people that wander up the other side of the fairway with no intention of mooching, yet expect you to look for theirs.
WITB
Cobra F9 w/ hzrdus smoke
Cobra F9 3w w/ evenflow white
TM P790 2i w/ hzrdus black
Bridgestone j15 w/ KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM6 50/54/58 w/ KBS Tour 125s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m / Squareback 2018

Online Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014 and 2020
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2019, 21:56:07 »
I'd like to think that after 8 or 9 months I'd have no longer considered myself "new" and been happy to ask him WTF he thought he was doing.

Possibly not on the first occasion mind...sometimes things happen and you ask yourself "did I really just see what I saw or did I imagine it?"....but if I'd seen him do it again in the same round then I like to think that I would have said something.

But...you don't know until you are in such a situation...and I guess every situation is different.
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Callaway Mavrik 4-wood 16.5* / UST Helium 50 reg
Callaway Mavrik Heavenwood 20* / UST Helium 50 reg
Callaway Mavrik 5H 22* / Project X Catalyst 65 5.5
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW / TT Elevate 95 reg
Vega Alcor 50*, 54* & 58* / Shimada Wedge flex
Gauge Design Tera

Offline Cols_Ears

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • 3 Iron
  • Current HCap: 5.8
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2019, 17:06:51 »
Never seen anything like that I'm pleased to say - well occasionally in corporate outings, but not in club events.

I must admit I thought you meant the other C word...  :p

Hopefully that sort of think isn't prevalent in Wiltshire where my next club is likely to be, and I'll be a "new" member again!
:ping: G400 10.5°(playing 9.5°) with Fuji Speeder Evolution 661 Tour Spec Stiff
:mizuno: ST200 3TS (playing 16.5°) with Diamana Whiteboard 70g Stiff
:srixon: ZU85 with an Accra TZ6 Hybrid M4 shaft
:ping: iBlades Green Dot 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff +½"
:ping: Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedges 50°, 54° with KBS $ Taper shafts +½"
:ping: Glide 3.0 Wedges 58° with KBS $ Taper shafts +½"
:ping: Sigma2 Tyne 4 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft
:bridgestone: Tour BXS

Offline hotbaws

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Hybrid / 5 Wood
    • The New Club
Golf and the "c" word
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2019, 00:34:57 »
Only thing I could think of doing in your position as a new memeber is perhaps to say to him once his ball was in the rough would have been to say to him you’d stand by his ball till he retrieved a club from his bag saving him employing the hat trick and standing watching him hit the ball from the lie. Maybe after doing that a couple of times standing over him while he went for a club the. Hit would have put him in know doubt what he was upto...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Bag is changing again...
Round & round it goes, where it stops nobody knows

Offline Gareth

• 2 Iron
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2019, 08:39:41 »
Only thing I could think of doing in your position as a new memeber is perhaps to say to him once his ball was in the rough would have been to say to him you’d stand by his ball till he retrieved a club from his bag saving him employing the hat trick and standing watching him hit the ball from the lie. Maybe after doing that a couple of times standing over him while he went for a club the. Hit would have put him in know doubt what he was upto...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea in hindsight and not too confrontational Gary.

Thing is that I suppose he's been doing it for years (and getting away with it maybe) but eventually he's been called on it and banned from comps as I said......can't see how he can stay at the club once it gets around and he outed as the cheat that he is.

To be totally fair he's the other 'c' word too and that goes hand in hand with the "cheat" label in his case  :D

Offline Gareth

• 2 Iron
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2019, 09:29:44 »
Never seen anything like that I'm pleased to say - well occasionally in corporate outings, but not in club events.

Hopefully that sort of think isn't prevalent in Wiltshire where my next club is likely to be, and I'll be a "new" member again!

Moving South Col??

Let's catch up soon  :thumbup1:

Online Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014 and 2020
« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2019, 10:25:25 »

I used to live in Wiltshire!!
Ping Rapture 13* / Rapture reg
Callaway Mavrik 4-wood 16.5* / UST Helium 50 reg
Callaway Mavrik Heavenwood 20* / UST Helium 50 reg
Callaway Mavrik 5H 22* / Project X Catalyst 65 5.5
Callaway Apex CF19 5-PW / TT Elevate 95 reg
Vega Alcor 50*, 54* & 58* / Shimada Wedge flex
Gauge Design Tera

Offline Gareth

• 2 Iron
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2019, 18:44:55 »
Sounds like he got what was coming to him and better it came from the Captain rather than you.

I’ve played with people who never watch my ball off the tee which is very annoying especially as I always find other people’s balls when they go offline. Not seen anyone kicking it about in the heather yet.

At a function this week and we're sitting on the Captains table so once the wine flows I wonder if anything gets said  :picard: :lol:

Recent