Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Jan 26, 2021, 09:55:22

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: World Handicapping Scheme Education  (Read 1756 times)

Offline 3puttwizard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Driver
Re: World Handicapping Scheme Education
« Reply #45 on: Oct 28, 2020, 10:33:02 »
So in short

If I'm playing in a rollup I should apply the 95%, if I'm playing in a competition I shouldn't?

If that's the case, someone playing in a stableford compettiton might not get a shot on a hole that they think they might when they are using a course handicap?

eg Course handicap 12. 95% of that is 11.4.

They play SI 12 get a par and put down 4 for 3 on their card. Would that mean a DQ or am I going off on a wild goose chase??

Also my WHS index has changed 3 times in the last 3 days, with no extra scores going in....looks like a bloody shambles.
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2020, 10:35:21 by 3puttwizard »
WHS 12.9

M.6 10.5 Speeder Evo 661 X
M2 3HL Hzrdus Black
JPX 900 Forged 4-PW KBS X
Cally 47/52 wedges
SM6 58 M Grind
Rife Barbados
TP5x/Z Star XV

Offline Blofeld

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Driver
  • Brett Vale G.C. Captain 2014 and 2020
« Reply #46 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:16:06 »
So in short

If I'm playing in a rollup I should apply the 95%, if I'm playing in a competition I shouldn't?

If that's the case, someone playing in a stableford compettiton might not get a shot on a hole that they think they might when they are using a course handicap?

eg Course handicap 12. 95% of that is 11.4.

They play SI 12 get a par and put down 4 for 3 on their card. Would that mean a DQ or am I going off on a wild goose chase??

Also my WHS index has changed 3 times in the last 3 days, with no extra scores going in....looks like a bloody shambles.

Taking your last question first....NO a player will not be disqualified...you cannot be disqualified for putting down wrong stableford points.

However a player in a comp does need to be aware that when the results are published they may have a point less than what they thought they might get.

The key reason why Course Handicap is critical, is that there will be a number (depending on his handicap) of holes where he doesn't get a shot for competition purposes, but does for handicapping purposes and that on that hole he needs to take all the strokes that are available to him before picking up.

So...an example...

My CH is 15 which gives me a PH of 14. So for competition purposes I don't get a shot on the SI 15th, but for handicapping calculation purposes, I do.

So the SI 15th is a par 4....I thrash my way around up the fairway and after taking my 5th stroke, which leaves me a tap-in for a 6, I pick my ball up thinking that for purposes of the comp I cannot score...which is quite correct. However, as handicapping is calculated against the Course Handicap the system will look at my NR for the hole and for handicapping purposes, will determine that I shot a nett double bogey...i.e. a 7 because my course handicap dictates that I have a shot at that hole. By not holing out for a 6 the system is making my score for handicapping purposes 1 shot worse than it should have been.

Here is the wording from the Guidance issued by the WHS relating to what goes down on a scorecard (note that it is the responsibility of the committee to apply the handicap allowance for whatever format you are playing)

G2.1b/1 Handicap On The Scorecard
To avoid a DQ under Rule 3.3b (4) of the Rules of Golf the player must put his/her Course Handicap on the scorecard (see Interpretation 3.3b (4)/1 of the Rules of Golf). This is expressed as an integer and represents the number of strokes the player receives for handicap purposes for both Competition scores and General Play returns.

It is the responsibility of the Committee to apply the handicap allowance for any stroke play competition; in practice this will done by the software. Players need to be able to access their Handicap Index and then refer to a relevant look-up table to obtain their Course Handicap for the tees used.

Whilst not mandatory, CONGU® recommend that space for the Handicap Index and Playing Handicap is also on the scorecard.

For multi-tee or mixed-tee competitions the Handicap Allowance may include additional strokes for players who play from the tees with the higher Course Ratings. Players should be aware that under these circumstances any additional strokes they receive could affect when they pick up on a hole in certain formats, for example Stableford or Par/Bogey.

Callaway Rogue Driver 10.5* / Aldila Synergy 50 reg
Callaway Rogue 3-wood 15* / Aldila Synergy 60 reg
Callaway Rogue 5-wood 19* / Aldila Synergy 60 reg
Callaway Mavrik Heavenwood 20* / UST Helium 50 reg
Callaway Apex 4H 23* / Project X Catalyst 70 reg
Callaway Apex CF19 6-PW / TT Elevate 95 reg
Vega Alcor 50*, 54* & 58* / Shimada Wedge flex
Scotty Special Select Flowback 5

Offline Blofeld

• Driver
« Reply #47 on: Oct 28, 2020, 11:36:02 »

It looks like they have now factored in the CSS for the competitions into their calculations. Previously the system simply calculated your differentials based on the SSS of the course. Now it appears they've factored in any variations due to CSS.

I can see this in my own scoring record.

Offline 3puttwizard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Driver
« Reply #48 on: Oct 28, 2020, 14:06:57 »
"My CH is 15 which gives me a PH of 14. So for competition purposes I don't get a shot on the SI 15th, but for handicapping calculation purposes, I do."

So if you get a Par on SI 15 you put down 4-3. The system will then deduct a point automatically?
WHS 12.9

M.6 10.5 Speeder Evo 661 X
M2 3HL Hzrdus Black
JPX 900 Forged 4-PW KBS X
Cally 47/52 wedges
SM6 58 M Grind
Rife Barbados
TP5x/Z Star XV

Offline Blofeld

• Driver
« Reply #49 on: Oct 28, 2020, 14:54:27 »
"My CH is 15 which gives me a PH of 14. So for competition purposes I don't get a shot on the SI 15th, but for handicapping calculation purposes, I do."

So if you get a Par on SI 15 you put down 4-3. The system will then deduct a point automatically?

Yep....because the competition software will be set up so the allowance is 95% and will calculate a players playing handicap accordingly.

Of course....what you need to actually put on your scorecard would be determined by YOUR committee. I know of some clubs who want a player to record his index, course handicap and playing handicap on the card!!! Course Handicap is the only one that is mandated by the authorities though.

Offline Cols_Ears

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • 3 Iron
  • WHS Index: 4.8
« Reply #50 on: Oct 29, 2020, 13:16:59 »
It looks like they have now factored in the CSS for the competitions into their calculations. Previously the system simply calculated your differentials based on the SSS of the course. Now it appears they've factored in any variations due to CSS.

I can see this in my own scoring record.
Not on mine - still using SSS (well actually it seems to be using the course rating not the SSS).
Email from the Pro this morning, apologising and warning members not to contact the club about it at the moment as they have no control and can't even put in a ticket to the EGU to sort out errors until the system goes live on the 2nd. Quite a lot of our members are missing recent scores, as I said the CSS has not been used (and no PCC has been added), one of my scores is showing I played the yellow tees (I played the white) - and it seems as a consequence my handicap went up from 4.4 to 4.8 overnight.

I guess they are still finalising the maths & formulas behind the UI - as others have said I can't understand how they can have got this so badly wrong. Surely they could have built the software and tested it before releasing it to the golfing population, there resistance to the new system was bad enough before without use being used as beta test dummies.
:mizuno: ST200 10.5° with  Paderson Kinetixx Launch TP65+ D40
:mizuno: ST200 3TS (playing 16°) with Diamana BF (Blueboard) 70 Stiff
:srixon: ZU85 3h with an Accra TZ6 Hybrid M4 shaft
:ping: iBlades Green Dot 4-PW with Accra iSteel 115 Stiff +½"
:ping: Glide 2.0 Stealth Wedges 50°, 54° with KBS 610 125 S+ shafts +½"
:ping: Glide 3.0 58° Wedge with KBS 610 125 S+ shafts +½"
MannKrafted MA66 Tombstone neck custom putter
:bridgestone: Tour BXS

Recent